Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Remembering the Charleston 9


A year ago today, nine brave Charleston firefighters made the ultimate sacrifice, losing their lives while fighting a massive fire at the Sofa Superstore in West Ashley. A year later, the community is still stunned by what happened. A year later, families still grieve for their loved ones. A year later, friends still mourn the loss and cherish the memories of the fallen.

A year later, I salute The Charleston Nine.



Additionally, I also need to take a minute to salute some other people too. I have four friends who are firefighters as well, and while all the attention is turned towards those who were lost, and justifiably so, I want to tip my hat to my friends.

Volunteer Firefighter Rodney Murdaugh of the Islandton, SC Fire Department


Volunteer Firefighter Joey Ferneza of Colleton County, SC Fire Rescue

Volunteer Firefighter Gerald Brown of the St. Paul’s, SC Fire District

Fire Lieutenant Tommy McQuade of the Newington, NH Fire Department

You guys are our hometown heroes. When normal people run out of burning buildings, you guys run in. You don’t do it for the money. You don’t do it for recognition. You do it because it’s who you are and what you do, and I for one am glad that you do it.

No comments: