Sunday, August 24, 2008

Yes, Shiny Toy Guns has a new singer.


Above: Former Shiny Toy Guns singer/bassist/keyboardist Carah Faye Charnow

The past couple of weeks this blog has seen a lot of traffic from fans of the band Shiny Toy Guns, checking out the post I did last September about their concert at The Windjammer. Many of these visitors wandered in on Google searches pertaining to the loss of one of the band’s members. I figured I may as well let people know what was up.

Yes, kids, I hate to say it, but Carah Faye Charnow has parted ways with the other members of Shiny Toy Guns and has been replaced.

Okay, STG fans…breathe. In, out. In, out.

Details are murky but it seems that Carah parted ways with Chad, Jeremy, and Mikey, and is now working on a project in Sweden. She’s been replaced by Sisely Treasure, of Long Beach, California. Treasure is known for a few different musical projects, but probably is best known recently as having been a finalist on the CW network’s reality show about finding a new member for the Pussycat Dolls.


Above: New kid on the block Sisely Treasure


About her departure, Carah has been quoted as saying,
” The rumors that I am no longer in Shiny Toy Guns are true. But, the rumors that I have quit are completely false. The boys have decided to go on without me.

I’m severely crushed, but severely hard to knock down. I’m slaving over a new project in Sweden that will hopefully take me above where I’ve been before. I promise only bigger and better things. And more details will come soon. Your love and support is so important to me. Please write me with any questions.

Love,
Carah"


After releasing three different versions of their debut album, “We Are Pilots” over the past four years and touring almost non-stop during the same time span, the band is set to release a new album, called “Season of Poison” in October. The first single, “Ricochet”, was made available for fans to download Friday night, and is the first glimpse at Treasure’s vocals and the slightly different sound of the Shinys.

I’ve listened to the song a few times now, and while it’ll grow on me eventually, it’s a rather abrasive sonic assault that sounds almost nothing like the synth-heavy songs of We Are Pilots. The guitar-heavy track reminds me of early-90’s KMFDM and Treasure’s voice is reminiscent of Nikkie van Lierop, former vocalist for the Belgian techno band Lords of Acid. Luckily, I like both KMFDM and Lords of Acid.

I’m gonna miss Carah. Her voice was one of the things I really liked about STG and I’m sure I’ll follow her with her new project, too. I’m still going to continue to listen to STG as well, and see where their new direction leads them. Remember, a lot of people said Depeche Mode was finished when Vince Clarke left in 1981. Twenty-seven years later, they still sell out stadiums world-wide, and Vince’s band Erasure has become iconic in its own right.


Above: Way back when: Carah Faye with the other members of Shiny Toy Guns

I once called Shiny Toy Guns the heirs to New Order’s throne as the leaders of the danceable rock throne, and hopefully they can continue to do so. The way the guitars and basslines compliment the synths and drums are an incredible blend in the same vein that New Order both pioneered and perfected. Some of their songs have reminded me of aspects of such classic New Order tracks as Blue Monday, Subculture, The Perfect Kiss, and Regret. I hailed We Are Pilots as the best album I bought last year, right alongside Dave Gahan’s second solo cd, Hourglass.

When I saw STG at the Windjammer, I was a brand new fan to the band and unfamiliar with many of the songs I heard, but I left that show fully converted to the church of the STG. In speaking with vocalist/guitarist Chad Petree before the show, I told him that it was exciting for me because at my age I seldom find new bands that I can embrace and get into with a fresh sound, and he agreed with me. I found the entire band to be personable and approachable, and very sincerely appreciative of the fans who showed up. It was very refreshing indeed.

So a chapter closes and a new chapter begins. It’s a good story so far, and I hope it continues to be as such.

UPDATE 12-2-2008: Go read my review of Season of Poison...do it! You know you want to...
http://mojosteve.blogspot.com/2008/11/album-review-shiny-toy-guns-season-of.html

1 comment:

Harold said...

Hmm, I think I've heard of Shiny Toy Guns...They're somewhere on my peripheral awareness. Well, I followed your sig link on the BONG list and now I'll have to find a way to get some STG songs...