Saturday, July 4, 2009

July 4th, 2009



Happy Fourth, ya’ll.

For my readers outside the USA, I know today is just another Saturday, in which case I hope you have a great weekend. Party it up but be safe. For my fellow Americans, Happy Birthday! And for my fellow veterans and current service members, I salute you all, my brothers and sisters, and I salute your sacrifices and those of your families.

I am the son and grandson of immigrants, from Canada, Poland, and Wales, with roots further back in England and Scotland. I am the product of people who came here looking for a better life than what they left behind. I am also one in a long, long line of soldiers and sailors and airmen (I actually don’t have any Marines in my lineage to my knowledge, but my oldest friend in the world is a former Devil Dog so that covers that).

My great great-grandfather, circa 1900

My great grandfather, second from right, in the 1930's

My grandfather, circa 1940

My folks in King's Bay, GA in 1988

Me in Germany, early 1989

I made my decision to enlist in the Army on July 4th, 1987. Four days later, I signed on the dotted line, and left for basic in January 1988.

Having traveled outside my own borders and lived overseas, I am keenly aware that while I feel that I live in a great nation and there’s nowhere else I’d really rather be, there is indeed more to this world than the United States, and the world does not revolve around us. I am, however, proud of how we as Americans band together to help those around the globe who need us.


Be safe. Be happy. Be proud of where you live and who we are.

Be free.

1 comment:

Randy said...

Thank you for your service. A special thanks to your family for their service and their support for you.